2017 Kenwick Park Charity Golf Day.
Charity Day depends on a large number of people over and above the players, and this is my chance to formally thank everyone for their contributions. We were again blessed with absolutely perfect weather, right through to the evening enabling players to dine in the Courtyard. This just added to an already perfect day, eliminating crowding in the clubhouse and keeping the goodwill and party atmosphere going. This was also the first time the new Air Conditioning was put to the test.
With special thanks to the following;-
- Steve Kelly and his Lexus Hull colleagues for their continued support and enthusiastic participation on the day.
- Paul Wiseman of Wiseman Electrical for providing the drinks at the Half-Way house, as well as several Raffle prizes, and also committing to 2018.
- Peter Whittle and his colleagues at Tri-Pack Plastics for all the signage, and provision of office facilities for me
- Dave Varney of Lincs Prime Fresh for all the sausages and bacon at the Half Way House. He gave us more than last year, the whole lot went and was much complimented
- North Coast Seafoods for all the seafood at the Half Way House.
- Hole Sponsors, all 20, including the Putting Green and the Driving Range. Good to see new sponsors ready and willing to step into retiree’s shoes, as well as the welcome support of our regular hole sponsors.
- Raffle Item Givers, Too many to mention individually, but a crucial addition to the day and the fund. I hope that it enabled the majority of people to go home with at least something! Star prizes included a superb putter from Northern Ireland Plastics, and a signed Stirling Moss print.
- Tri-Pack Plastics, for their sponsorship of the Beat the Pro event which in total raised over £700.00!
- Mike Kirman of Sutcliffe Insurance for their sponsorship of the Nearest the Line event, for the third year.
- Jim Cane for sponsoring the ladies team prize.
- Cash Donations to the fund, Grateful thanks go to Brian Huxford, Steve Wharton, Roger Herring, John Blundell, Roger Booth, Rob and Elaine Houlton, and the many contributors to the Bob Jones Photo Frame and Nicklaus shirt, now proudly mounted in the spike bar.
- The Starters, Linda Cahalin and Hugh Donnelly, assisted by Charity helpers!
- Simon Williams for working hard on the BBQ’s all afternoon,
- Half-Way House ladies, Nicola Clarke, Amber Bryant, Kerry Strawson who attended all day and helped make it the best half-way house in the region! Also special thanks to John Hudson from Bloodwise for manning the busy bar so well.
- Philippa Jones for awarding the golf prizes, a delight all round for us to have Bob’s daughter on this day of all days.
- Greenkeepers, for delivering excellent conditions for the players, and also helped me with many jobs. The course looked beautiful, and many commented as such.
- Ashton Turner for giving up his entire professional day at the Beat the Pro and adding enormously to everyone’s enjoyment. Ashton refused any payment, insisting it was his pleasure to help Kenwick and the Charity.
- Our Professionals, Especially Michael for his invaluable help, assisted by Paul, Sam and Nik in the pro shop,
- Club House Catering, Andrew and his very able and friendly colleagues including Simon, Jason, Victoria, and Sarah who kept us all fed and watered under trying conditions,
- Charity Helpers, Lincs Air Ambulance, Patsy Clark from League of Friends, and also lovely to see Daphne Ferguson from Grimsby Town Handicapped Supporters, Andy’s and Womens’ Aid.
- Auction Items. With special thanks to;-
Bob Jones for donating his very personal Nicklaus/Palmer photo frame to the auction
North Sea Lions, for the signature items of the Sergio signed Masters flag, obtained especially for us by Andrew Lee, and for trusting Kenwick to deliver. Also for all their help with the Raffle, including selling the tickets, preparing the raffle prizes on the tables and manning the raffle collection. Also for running the Beat the Pro event. I remain personally very grateful to them for their huge contribution to our day, and they of course dedicate their efforts to helping local people less fortunate than us.
Duncan McKenzie for obtaining the signed Liverpool shirt for us from Stevie Gerrard.
Joe Henderson for the superb trip and overnight stay at McLaren
Joe Henderson for 4 executive seats at Old Trafford. Joe is incredibly generous, and his contribution has made a significant difference to our efforts this year.
- Karen Archer and Ann Walker for invaluable help, support and advice.
- Kenwick Park Golf Club for giving me free reign of the offices and charging the bare minimum of £10.00 per head fees, contributing enormously to the available fund.
The event this year carried extra poignancy coming as it did just weeks after we lost Bob to pancreatic cancer, leaving us far too early. I am sure this provoked a surge in giving which would have surely reduced Bob to tears! He insisted that the collection at his funeral be directed towards the Charity fund. He also donated his photo frame, and the Lions added the Nicklaus shirt. In deciding that we should keep these items in the clubhouse using peoples contribution, it clearly struck a chord with members who knew him, and we raised far more this way than we would have done at auction.
Having his daughter Philippa with us also added to the day, and I know that she has a very clear vision now of Bob’s Kenwick legacy, and she is thrilled to have witnessed this first hand.
28th September, 2017.